(This post was last updated on: 11/17/20.)
I am always looking for new ways to use fresh basil from my plant that seems to grow faster than the speed of light. I love pesto and recently made some at home which used up a good bit of my basil. Pesto tastes yummy on chicken, fish, pasta, in a salad or on a sandwich. It can be used in so many ways, I never worry about my supply going bad before I can use it all up. For this recipe, I also use spinach which gives it a fuller flavor. Learn how to make home homemade pesto; it’s so simple.
Ingredients to Make Homemade Pesto:
- 1 Cup of fresh basil
- 1 Cup of fresh spinach
- 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1/4 Cup of slivered almonds, walnuts or pine nuts
- 1 Tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions on How to Make Homemade Pesto:
- Place nuts, basil and garlic in a food processor, process until chopped
- Drizzle in some olive oil, approx 2 tablespoons, process until mixed
- Add spinach, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper
- Process until it becomes a thick paste
- Drizzle in more olive oil as needed per your preference on thickness
Store the pesto in a jelly jar for approx 1-2 weeks in the fridge. This recipe makes enough to almost fill 2 jelly jars. I have seen others store pesto in plastic ice cube trays, but I have not tried this yet. It’s definitely on my to-do list.
What do you like to put pesto on when cooking? Do you have a great homemade pesto recipe? I would love to know. Leave me a comment below so we can share recipes.