I think it’s a requirement when you live in the south to have a biscuit and gravy recipe. A true southern wife would have made biscuits from scratch. I can and I have before, but this weekend I just didn’t have the time. I used refrigerated biscuits this time but most times I use frozen biscuits. It’s a good idea to have a big bag of biscuits in the freezer that you can pull out to use at a moment’s notice. You never know when you might have a biscuit emergency. Just joking. I take my biscuits very seriously.
This recipe is seriously easy. My mom sent this to me years ago and my husband loves when I make it for breakfast. So here you go, give it a try, you will like it so much more than pre-made gravy or the dried gravy packet.
- 6-8 biscuits
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 2-3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3-4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Put the biscuits in a preheated oven, bake according to package directions
- Brown the sausage over medium heat and crumble
- Coat the sausage with flour
- Add enough milk to almost cover the sausage
- Turn the heat down to low-medium and let the mixture simmer until it becomes thick, add pepper to taste, stir occasionally
- Slice the biscuits in half and cover with the gravy mixture
I hope you try this recipe and let me know how it turned out by leaving a comment below.