(This post was last updated on: 3/7/22.) Learn how to make great banana pudding!
Banana Pudding is one of the most southern desserts that I can think of and this recipe is easy to make. You should realize by now that I love to cook but I use recipes that are simple and do not use a ton of ingredients, especially ingredients that normal people have never heard of before. Sorry Rachael Ray, I love your food and tv shows, but your ingredient lists are crazy to me.
I did not grow up in the northeast eating banana pudding but I have grown to love it now that we live in the south. We grew up with mom baking sheet cakes and cupcakes. And we always had ice cream in the freezer. That’s what we grew up eating for dessert up north. Can’t believe I went all those years without ever trying banana pudding.
How to Make Great Banana Pudding:
- 4 bananas sliced
- 1 box of mini vanilla wafers
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding, family sized
- 1.5 cups of whole milk
- 1 container of cool whip
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Whisk the powdered pudding, milk and condensed milk together
- Fold in the cool whip carefully
- Assemble your dessert in this order: wafers, bananas, pudding mixture, then repeat
- Let your banana pudding set in the fridge for a couple hours before serving
I love to serve banana pudding in jelly jars. It’s portable and portioned out at just the right size. These are great for parties or to pass out to friends or co-workers as a gift. For a large party at home, I make the pudding in a large glass trifle bowl. It not only tastes amazing but it’s very pretty on a buffet table.
We would love to hear about your favorite southern desserts. Leave us a comment below and we will try to feature your fave in an upcoming post.